Monday, February 12, 2007

*A Little Red for Valentine's Day ~Transferware




We have been fortunate that my husband's family has saved a few things from the past, on his dad's side mostly. We always get whatever no one else wants, but it is often the best to us, even though it may not have any great dollar value.

The women on that side of the family all had good china, so no one had any interest in the old red transferware which belong to my husband's grandparents. They were married in 1921 and some of the cups look like they are about that old. The set was offered to me, but I didn't know what it looked like from the description, and I didn't think I had room for it. A few years later, my mother-in-law asked our daughter if she wanted it, and she said yes without thinking twice. Out came these wonderful old pieces of red transferware!

Since I only have the dishes for safe keeping right now, I like to bring them out especially at Valentine's Day and Christmas because of the reds. I missed keeping them, but they found their way into the future with someone who accepted them immediately. I hope they have many more years of holidays and every day meals to come.

16 comments:

  1. Wow, those are beautiful! I love the covered bowls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, I love transferware! Any color really, but the red is just beautiful! Lucky you!

    Carol
    Come visit me!
    http://ourreddoor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. What beautiful dishes! And how smart of your daughter to say "yes" she wanted them. They are just lovely and it's nice to know they will be setting a table for you daughter for many Valentine's Days to come.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love when the most delightful things are overlooked (which is usually the case in my family). These plates are just perfect! Lucky you to have acquired them! I love them! I bet they'd look spectacular during the Christmas Holidays as well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the transferware!
    We share the same flatware!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love anything red! The dishes are simply scrumptious! Enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful!! Thank goodness your daughter said yes!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely adore the transferware...it's a beautiful color!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How beautiful! I wish I had room for more dinnerware, but have nowhere to keep it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are just beautiful Donna! You raised one SMART daughter! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just beautiful Donna. What a smart daughter you have to appreciate them. You raised her right!
    Such a lovely picture...of how I adore transferware. This red is just stunning.

    Have a wonderful Valentine's Day.

    Hugs,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful blog you have, and a fantastic sense of Interior Design! Did you study in design school? My sisters and I love to go shopping at 'mom's' too. A house full of heirlooms is my idea of wonderful! I love your earlier posts on entry-way (great moss pot and garden globe!) and your wonderful reading room! What a gem of a house you have created! The photos with before and after (outside) tell all, you really have an amazing knack for re-do! Bravo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh these are sooooooooooooooooo beeeeeeeeeeutiful. -sigh-

    'MN'

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those dishes are absolutely gorgeous! Your daughter is very fortunate to own them, and you are too for being their caretaker!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Absolutely gorgeous china!! Even though it went to your daughter it remains in the family nonetheless and that's what is important. and while you are the caretaker you can enjoy its splendor...and later when she is using it you can still enjoy it!
    Happy Valentine's Day!
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  16. I totally agree with all of you, any transferware is beautiful and the red is no exception. Also, yes, my daughter is such a smart cookie!
    Ulla, I studied art & design, interior & graphic, as well as some post grad art classes.
    I loved college and taking art and art history classes Funny since I skipped a lot of high school. :)
    I had fantastic art/design teachers.

    Thank you all for taking the time to post your notes!
    Donna

    ReplyDelete

Everyone loves comments! Thanks for stopping by and for taking a moment to leave a little note. (Comment moderation maybe be on at this time. Simply leave your note, and it will be published shortly.)
Donna