Wednesday, January 13, 2010

~ Light In The Darkness

This blog may be a bit boring in the coming year because I am determined to enjoy decorating, nesting and fussing by using and moving things around that I already have. And buying very few new things. Especially anything that I don't actually "need." Not only do I still have more stuff" than I actually need, but buying less will help me appreciated some of the things I have even more. Then I'll use them and not be out looking for more stuff.

This angel was not expensive, but I have really loved it ever since I found it. Over the last year she had gotten lost in the shuffle. She is quite lovely with some candles and the light dancing around. It's a simple example of things that I can use over and over again in different ways.


Maybe the reason that I tend to bring out more whites to decorate with in the winter is because it is a bit "darker" during the cold months. Most people lean towards more color in the winter, and then feel the need to lighten up as the seasons change. Instead I need more white around me in the cold months to combat that the days are shorter and there is less sunlight.



A couple of days ago I had a skin cancer spot removed, and I wanted to whine a little and get some sympathy, or at least ice cream and a cookie. Then I found out a close relative was going in for a breast biopsy the same day. Thankfully it turned out negative and it put my little boo boo in perspective. I felt cooped up with not being able to go walk the puppy as we usually do the last few days because of the stitches. But then I learned that my sis who had shoulder surgery today, would be going through therapy for 3 months. I'm thankful she is home now, with some mending ahead of her though.

Then the devastation in Haiti. I realized I have not one single thing to complain about. The amazing organization Doctors Without Borders was already in Haiti working. They have suffered greatly from the earthquake and their center was destroyed. They continue to work in the worst possible conditions because so many depend on them for their lives right now. They continue to bring Light in the Darkness.
You can visit them here.

See Y'all Soon~

18 comments:

  1. Bring on the boring! I love to see creative new ways people have used their same old stuff. And poor you! Skin cancer is awful thing to deal with even if it can be topped. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I am so with you. I am trying to pull out all the things from the closets that I havn't used for a while and find some way to use them and switch things up. I don't need anything new. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Donna, I started finding new ways or use more frequently things I already have in the house. I love putting a new area together. Yep, I had a Skin Cancer removed a few years ago on my face, 40 stitchs. Thank Heavens it was in my natural smile line! and it was Benign, but it was No Makeup for weeks! Feel Better Donna, and leep sharing your Decorated House.
    Huggs, Nancy
    www.coeurdalenegifts.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blog could never be boring! I don't see how that would even be possible. I always have mixed feeling about people not buying stuff~smile. The frugal side of me applauds it. On the other hand, my husband is in retail and if people didn't buy stuff he'd be out of a job!

    Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never boring, Donna!!

    I love these images. For some reason I have sort of moved to lighter colors, in our home and feel the need to do more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lovely angel! I'm doing the same. I have too much stuff. I've vowed to be extremely selective with any new purchases. And to make more things myself from the stash I already have overflowing. You're absolutely correct. What do we have to complain about when the world is crumbling around us?
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had a biopsy of a "freckle" that I didn't remember being on my face a few years ago. Thankfully, it was nothing to worry about. I know what you mean about perspective.

    I always try to shop from my own house and I don't think that's boring at all! In fact, sometimes that can be more exciting than buying new because you are being creative and inventive with what you already have. My problem is that a lot of my decorative items are packed up in boxes in the garage {due to house being on market}, and I can't remember if I kept certain things or got rid of them. I am trying to limit myself to buying inexpensive things or making some things until I can figure it all out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful post, I have the same feeling today as you do.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You would never be boring! I love the photos you've shared ~ the angel is beautiful along side the other items. I'm not much of a "white" person although I do think it looks clean and crisp when I see it in other's homes. I bought a beautiful white duvet cover with shams last summer from IKEA and I've never used them. :-( I know folks are squirming about that...it just feels so stark to me. I will try it again when the heat hits Texas! :-) I do see things I want but honestly, I don't 'need' anything really.

    When you see these people in Haiti or other ravaged areas without a single item, it brings reality back doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Never boring Donna, you get to use your creative side....count me in for the ride :)

    Skin cancer, very scary Donna...I hear about more and more cases all the time...as a melanoma survivor...it's a change of life type disease.

    I gave to the American Red Cross...and have also prayed for those poor people...how awful huh ???

    Glad you're okay !!!

    Kathy :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. ps I like white too....but all I have to do is look out my window these days :( and see all sorts of white... SNOW... that's a four letter word for me !!! I do believe the stork delivered me to the wrong part of this U S A lol

    K :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your angel is beautiful and so is your blog.

    Renee xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful post. I love the images, but your writing was lovely and seeing the comments are enjoyable. You are so right about appreciating what we do have. About two years ago when we moved, we decluttered a lot. I notice it's back so again I'm ready to tackle that. Thanks for a reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for the heads up on the doctors without borders site on etsy. Excellent.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely angel. Very fit for a home specially on the bedroom. Nice blog.

    Deirdre G

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think you are wise to take what you have and move it around. Those of us who thrive on decorating, can't keep excessively buying things. It's crazy and such a waste of money, especially in these times when there are so many people lacking the basic necessities of life.

    Karla (Karla's Cottage) did a few zero dollars decorating posts and it was so fun to see how she moved things around and did some simple repainting.

    ~elaine~

    ReplyDelete
  17. I so love your giving heart Donna!

    ((((((((hugs))))))))

    And I'm happy that you are okay. My sweet hubby had several of those removed last year too. You both are so fair and yes we native Floridians didn't know any better back in the day.

    Your blog could not be anything but beautiful.
    You are HERE, right?


    Love,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have a similar angel (maybe her sister), and I also have enjoyed her throughout the years. She's serene and looks lovely in the dancing candle light.

    ReplyDelete

Everyone loves comments! Thanks for stopping by and for taking a moment to leave a little note. (Comment moderation maybe be on at this time. Simply leave your note, and it will be published shortly.)
Donna