Monday, February 28, 2011

~ It's Just A Little Thing


Saturday was so beautiful out, we decided to take a little road trip to Renninger's. The big extravaganza was a few weeks ago and I can't remember what was going on, but we just had other things to do that weekend and didn't go. This trip I was looking for a particular booth where I had made a purchase in November. The lady had a couple more items, so I was hoping to get more. What were the chances they would still be there?

It's funny how you really never know how some little gift you give will be something they will treasure for a long time. Nor do we ever know how quick something that was more costly to us winds up at the GoodWill. But it's the thought behind the Gift that counts, right? After that you just have to let it go.

Almost 30 years ago Sweet Hubby's sister gave us an old door knob. I'm sure it was quite inexpensive at that time and not really a big purchase today. We brought it with us when we moved here. The color was the typical gold of that time. So I cleaned it well, primed and used a couple of Rub-n-Buff colors on it. Probably pewter and silver, and then aged it a bit. It adorns the french doors in the dining room. It probably doesn't get much attention on a day to day basis.
But this day, I stopped and admired it.


So on this beautiful Spring-like day, we headed straight that one booth to hopefully find what I was going to the Antique Market for. But of course, they were gone. When? They had just sold a couple of weeks ago when we did not go on our planned trip. And I didn't even find a nice mate to my door knob. Just a nice day of walking around. It was still a good day.

When we got home, I again admired the little door knob. There is so much to be thankful for. Including the little house where the door knob lives.

9 comments:

  1. Oh how gorgeous! I'm looking for one more old door knob to match the rest here too.. one day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donna so pretty !!!!

    I have been away my MIL passed away and my own Mum had a bad cases of shingles and has been living with us. So I am finally making the rounds to my fave blogs....

    Hope everyone is well in your world....

    Yes we do have much to be thankful for and each day I try to give thanks...

    All the best,
    Kathy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is those beautiful little things that put the smile on our faces, isn't it? Hopefully, you will find another one somewhere...when you least expect it. The one you have is wonderful! hugs- Diana

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your doorknob. It is those little touches that will really make a difference when we are decorating.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how I love door knobs! What an amazing find!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is lovely...I'm particularly inspired by the patina you've added with the pewter and silver...how clever...

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry they were sold. The doorknob is beautiful! I am sure you will find what you are looking for when you least expect it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sometimes being one of a kind is a good thing. A true original.

    You've done a beautiful job with that doorknob - adding one more might just take away from the beauty.

    The trick, of course, will be trying to find something to complement that piece.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that doorknob. I've been looking for the perfect antique knocker for my entry door. I just love the vintage touches you can bring to a room and accent it perfectly.

    ReplyDelete

Everyone loves comments! Thanks for stopping by and for taking a moment to leave a little note. (Comment moderation maybe be on at this time. Simply leave your note, and it will be published shortly.)
Donna