Thursday, October 8, 2009

~ Painting Faux Pumpkins, Halloween White & Black


For the last few years my Halloween decorating has been black and white on the inside of the house, with regular pumpkin colors outside. It's so easy to find great buys on the orange colored pumpkins and many of us have lots of them left over from previous years. This post is from last year, and has a little simple how-to for painting those faux pumpkins. This is the quickest and easiest how-to ever!








Black Faux Pumpkin How-to:
The little pumpkins were either green or orange ones that I bought years ago. I liked the shape and I'm really looking for ways to reuse anything so I don't add to the garbage in the world.

These are the foam ones that are so cheap.
(They are not shiny, it's just the light from the window.)

The secret is Fusion Spray Paint or Rust-Oleum Universal Spray Paint
(and now updated: Annie Sloan Chalk Paints, too.)
 
Both are made for painting plastic, but I have found that both are some of the best all around paints.
I've painted wrought iron outside and it holds up very well. It is also excellent on wood.

By now these speciality pants aren't  much of a secret and so many people have discovered what great coverage they give. Some spray paints can react with foam, but are OK on plastic. I've tried other brands which were not as good. They just don't stick to or hold up on plastic.

The stems I painted with the black first because it is like using a primer. Then I used simple bottled craft paint in a lime green for the stems.


See Y'all Soon!

 ................................................................................
Click on any of the pictures below to shop  art from The Decorated House 

10 comments:

  1. I painted some too and I love them painted. Yours look just fabulous. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute....I've only used Fusion for my plastic stuff....never thought to use it elsewhere. Thanks for the tip!
    peace, cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are darling! I didn't know about fusion - so thanks so much. I love the lime green color too. You are so talented!

    XOOX
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your pumpkins,,, I will have to give it a try,, I love white pumpkins, and never thought of black,,, but they look amazing... thanks for sharing...

    Hugs;
    Alaura

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't see the photo...wonder why...but have written fusion paint on my to do list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I stenciled a couple of white ones with a black design and they turned out very classy & chic for my dining room buffet. They're so much fun to work with! Love your dresser handle painting technique - I have to try it. They look fabulous when you get done!

    Hugs, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I love the idea of white and black pumpkins...so out of the box.
    Thanks for the info about fusion!
    xo Maron

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Donna! Thank you for coming by for a visit and leaving your sweet comment. I was actually here when the photos were missing, but I took your advice and used the Fusion paint to redo an orange pumpkin to white. It worked beautifully. Thanks so much!!!!

    Karen
    My Desert Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea. I never thought of the pumpkins in black. Love the blog please come visit mine. awhimsicalchick.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's official! You have the best ideas!!! Suzy ala Vivalayardsale

    ReplyDelete

Everyone loves comments! Thanks for stopping by and for taking a moment to leave a little note. (Comment moderation maybe be on at this time. Simply leave your note, and it will be published shortly.)
Donna