Wednesday, June 27, 2012

~ How-to Create an Antique Silver Finish. diy. Tutorial




It's funny how you really never know how some little gift you give will be something the person will treasure for a long time. Nor do we ever know how quick something that was more costly to us ends up at the GoodWill or a charity like it.  But it's the thought behind the gift that counts, right? After that you just have to let it go even if you worked hard or spent generously and it just wasn't the right thing or for the right person receiving it.

In this case a simple gift has become even more treasured over time, eve n though it started out a different color metal.






About 30 years ago Sweet Hubby's sister gave us an old door knob. Since she likes checking out junk and thrift stores, I'm sure it was quite inexpensive at that time. We brought the door knob with us when we moved to our home now. The color was the typical brassy gold from the time period when it was made. It stayed that way for a while when it didn't really have a place in our home yet.

You can still find these lovely treasures at antique markets, and if you get lucky at a junk or thrift store. The picture above is from a dealer at the large antique fair in Mt. Dora. When I look at the picture now, I'm wondering why I didn't buy one, or two.... I think I found other goodies though and maybe I had spent my limit for the day. That was a really good year to go shopping there.



In order to change the one I have from an old brassy gold to this beautiful antique silver - pewter,  here is what I did.

*  Clean it very well. Use a small brush or tooth brush to get into the carvings unless you want it to
    still look kind of grungy when you are done. Either way give it a good cleaning with a cleaner that
    cuts grease and grime as well as dirt.

*  Prime it.
    I always use spray on a metal primer. Some have an etching effect which I also like very much. 
    The metal primers are superior to the regular primers when you working with metals. 
     I can tell from the above photo that I used one of the hammered finishes paint primers
     for metal which I love using.
*  Rub n Buff!
    Oh the wonders of Rub n Buff, a staple around here for over a decade. 
    It's a metallic wax, so it is perfect for this project.
    Here is used a combination of pewter and silver. 
*  Black glaze.
    I used an acrylic paint. Black is so pigmented, it will still adhere over the Rub n Buff.
    Paint the the black on your piece, then wipe off the top areas to highlight. Let it settled into the 
    crevices.  If you get too much black on the areas you want highlighted, take a soft damp cloth
    and wipe it off right away or if needed touch up the silver with Rub n Buff.

 *  Spray Protective Coat.
     If your door knob will get a lot of use you can spray it with a spray on polyurethane to keep
     it  looking good longer.

Our door knob  graces the French doors that lead from the dining room area. It was painted many years ago in this way, and only now is showing some wear. It does not get a lot of use though. The doors are left open most of the time. I would spray it with a final protective coat if it was used more.



See Y'all Soon~
 ................................................................................
Click on any of the pictures below to shop  art from The Decorated House 

7 comments:

  1. Wow, that is beautiful, Donna! I love the look and that is very pretty detailing on it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. how very clever! I'm going to have to try this as I have MANY of these doorknob escutcheons. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much Donna for the tutorial. I have a few pieces to do and am grateful for the instruction.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is gorgeous...thanks for the step by step!

    ReplyDelete
  5. patty@creativeideasandtips.blogspot.comJuly 3, 2012 at 11:31 PM

    Lovely....just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do the doorknobs actually work? Mine doesn't want to turn right. Any tips for getting it to work like a modern doorknob?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This door knob does not work. It doesn't turn, but since I have both sides, it is screwed together and I can pull the French door open.

    ReplyDelete

Everyone loves comments! Thanks for stopping by and for taking a moment to leave a little note. (Comment moderation maybe be on at this time. Simply leave your note, and it will be published shortly.)
Donna