Saturday, December 1, 2018

Pottery Barn Wreath Pillow Knock-Off ~ Christmas Winter Decor



https://thedecoratedhouse.blogspot.com/2011/12/pottery-barn-wreath-pillow-knock-off.html
After pining for the Pottery Barn Wreath Pillow for awhile, I saw there had been a few copycat knock-offs. None where quite what I was looking for. Even the Pottery Barn version was the reverse of the colors I that I really wanted.

At first it seem the easiest solution was to just buy the one at Pottery Barn, and it was very pretty with the white background and greige leaves as you can see from the picture below. But it wasn't the combination that I really wanted and the pillow was also smaller than the size I needed.

What was more appealing for my decorating colors was to have a greige cotton/linen background and white leaves and berries. The one I made which is pictured next, is the color scheme more to my personal taste.  It is a 16 inch square and of course you can make it larger or smaller to your own liking.

I spent more time running around trying to find the leaves pre-cut than it took to just cut them and make the pillow. And while I was out hunting, I didn't realize at first that I wanted white leaves, so it was good I never found any. Afterwards I did see pre-cut leaves for sale. But since I have no patience, I wouldn't have waited for them to arrive anyway.

If you were thinking that pillow looked pretty simple to make, you were right! Give it a try. I like that my leaves are a bit larger/thicker. But you can make them however you like. One of the things you'll notice on the Pottery Barn version is that there is a stitch down the center for a vein look. The only thing I might do differently is to choose a beige colored thread so that the veins show up a little more.  But it is one of things that really makes the pillow look great.  I'm very happy with it and it was made from  simple unbleached cotton linen cotton, and a couple of 35 cent squares of white felt for the leaves.

** Tip: Do not use hot glue to attach the leaves and pom poms. Hot glue dries hard, makes a stringy mess while gluing this many things, and it's really easy to burn you fingers with little pom poms. :) There are several different brands of Fabric Glue made just for a project such as this.

See Y'All Soon~
Donna

12 comments:

  1. Yours looks absolutely beautiful! You got the look down perfectly! Love it~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donna, your pillow is so pretty! You did a great job. I would love to have the patience (and ability!)to make one for myself, maybe next year...

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your pillow. The colors are wonderful and the white leaves really stand out! Wanna make me one? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merry Christmas, Donna!! Wow, that pillow turned out so great, love that you took it on. And your mantel is absolutely stunning, as always. You have quite the collection of mercury glass and pretty baubles & always display them so well. I hope you have a wonderful Christmas this year!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your pillow is beautiful, I wish I could sew I would make so much more stuff for myself. Great job.

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think your pillow is far better, I love the background colour and the white leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kaaren@ Cottonseed ChronicleNovember 27, 2012 at 2:16 PM

    I love to see when someone actually makes an item that looks better than the original, especially at a fraction of the price. You did a wonderful job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the pillow. If anyone has a Accucut machine used for quilting you could find a leaf pattern put some fusible on the back of some white wool and cut and press on the leaves in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohh, I love this! As in totally adore this! It looks so elegant and well put together, what a fun project to do! I'm totally trying this myself when I have a moment of "no-projects-on-the-horizon"! Very well done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you ladies for all your sweet comments. And thanks for the tip about different machines that will make the leaves for you. It would have cut the time much shorter and made this pillow really easy to make! I hope a few of your made your very own to enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Are you considering selling any of your white wreath pillows?

    ReplyDelete

Everyone loves comments! Thanks for stopping by and for taking a moment to leave a little note. (Comment moderation maybe be on at this time. Simply leave your note, and it will be published shortly.)
Donna