Wednesday, July 13, 2011

~ Santos - Cage Doll On A Quiet Street - Grace

2011 ~ We were considering a quick trip to Sanford last weekend, but just didn't get around to it. Then as I was moving things around in the living room, and dusting this lovely Santos, I was happy that I had decided to get her. She still makes me smile......

Many things had changed the last time we were there, and the real downturn in the economy had not fully hit yet. If we could just take a moment to do whatever business we can with the small "mom & pop" stores in our own home towns, instead of laces like Walmart, we could make a huge difference. I know many people are trying to do just that.
...................................

Jan 2009:
The air was so fresh and brisk as we walked along the street where we've been many times before. Those who visit this little blog have seen pictures of the old buildings and how wonderful it was to have the street brought back to a new life with antique shops, places to eat and the farmer's market on Saturday when we usually go. A couple of years ago we saw an ad on TV about the shops that had opened trying to be a part of the antique & tourists market like their sister city Mt. Dora, with Renninger's.

On this day it was obvious that Sanford must be struggling. Many of the shops were closed, and the street was pretty empty. We had made the quick trip up there to find a Santos. She has eluded me, even though she has been in my grasp a couple of times. The first time I looked and yearned, but kept myself from spending. When I decided maybe I would go ahead a buy her, she was gone. Then on the next trip, there were two to choose from. One had a prettier face, the other had beautiful wings. I left empty handed again, unable to decide.

But the trip this Saturday, was to bring her home. That is if there was one in the shop-art gallery. It's a wonderful place where they have art showings, display folk art and have artists' studios that they rent. As we walked towards the shop, in the window, there was one, only one. She had the beautiful wings, and I couldn't remember what the other one looked like. I thought about it. I walked through the artists' rooms, looked at the art, and then came back around and said...she's mine. As you can see she sometimes gets dressed up just a tiny bit, too.



It was sad to see the row of shops slowly closing down. Business has been so bad and most cannot wait for it to get better, whenever that might be. We ate lunch at a new restaurant which had only been open for 3 months and we were the only ones there in the afternoon. The food was excellent. I hope they can weather the stormy times and be successful. It's hard to find such good food with big food chains squeezing out the little mom & pop places.

This Santos is a celebration symbol. Life is good, even in days like these. I am fully aware almost every minute to be thankful. My family is all healthy, kind and wonderful, there is lots of sunshine and puppy kisses. Really perfection, as I am learning to stop and bath in the Grace.
..........................

After I posted this, several people asked if I knew where they could purchase a Santos/Cage Doll. At the time, I knew of very few places. Since then they have become more available online. This site has mine as well many others. All beautiful from the pictures. (This is a "free advertisement" without any benefit to me. ) http://www.santoscagedoll.com/

This shop tells you up front that they are reproductions. You might wish to be very careful since I have seen the exact same ones being sold at much higher prices as "antiques" which they are not.
.....................

See Y'All Soon~
Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everyone loves comments! Thanks for stopping by and for taking a moment to leave a little note. (Comment moderation maybe be on at this time. Simply leave your note, and it will be published shortly.)
Donna