Friday, August 5, 2011

~ French Chair, Chalk Paint Distressed and...

and then painted again.

In the quest of simplification, I've added a new option to the old, whatever you touch you must put it where it belongs, or give it away. The new option is if you are going to keep it, then do whatever refinishing it needs for you to keep it. Now! I have a large stash of things that I'm so sure I will redo. Now when I find something or move it around, if it is waiting for some work, I am trying to get it done. Wish me luck. :)


I still love these simple French style chairs. They have been here for many years, and have been utilized in different rooms. One is actually at Sweet Daughter's house right now. No memory of doing so, but I must have taken it over there.

I was intending to give you a nice little tutorial for achieving the look. Although I did it the mostly the same way I have for years, there are a few things including the choice of paints that were influenced by others. You can see a really good tutorial at Miss Mustard Seed's blog in her sidebar to give you a similar, or better finish. Look in her sidebar for the blue chair tutorial.

My chair went through this:
  1. Painted very blue, Provence chalk paint with Turquoise added.
  2. Painted dry brush to medium dry brush with ASCP Paris Grey mixed Provence.
  3. Rubbed with a damp cloth.
  4. Dry brushed with Old White chalk paint and some light waxing.
  5. Sanded to distress
(The pictures show it without a final waxing, with the dark or clear that you would probably choose for longer wear.)

When that was all done....
it was too much shabby for me.
Now it is painted with Old White.
Yes, after all that work, I painted over it.

It's only paint!


See Y'all Soon~

 ................................................................................
Click on any of the pictures below to shop  art from The Decorated House 

6 comments:

  1. I love distressed french chairs, yours is gorgeous! I just re-did one, hopefully I can do a post on it next week, I didn't use the ASCP because they don't sell it in Utah, just used a simple mix of blue and white semi gloss paint, it turned out okay though.
    Have a wonderful weekend!
    XXX Ido

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved it before but I am the same way-when something gets just a bit tooo distressed I rather prefer the cleaner look of fresh paint. Maybe my tastes are changing and evolving again! There are SOME things that I am having a hard time painting at all! It's nice to know there are others like me out there- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. (((((((Donna)))))))))))

    I miss you. You've been on my mind and I wanted to stop by and say hi. Everything is so fresh and pretty here and as always so very inspiring! Your sweet heart shines through in every thing you do!

    xo,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I would like the white best. I love painted furniture, but some things just need a touch, not too much distressing. Love the detail of the piece. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  5. Donna,
    I've seen in a few posts where you say you rub with a damp cotton rag- is this after the paint is dry? Or while it is still wet?
    Thx!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree this chair is definitely shabbied up beyond your normal tastes, but it is still pretty amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Everyone loves comments! Thanks for stopping by and for taking a moment to leave a little note. (Comment moderation maybe be on at this time. Simply leave your note, and it will be published shortly.)
Donna